04 August, 2008

More Sci-Fi Fun


I knew JPP was a big fan of the new Battlestar Galactica so about a month ago, I started watching it. Thank you Netflix. Yesterday, I sent back the first disc for season 2. It just keeps getting better. Unlike Torchwood, they have great special effects and the cylons are wicked cool. I cannot quite figure out all the characters motivations yet and that keeps me enthralled with it. I cannot wait to watch the next DVD!
Halso, I love that Starbuck is a lady! She kicks serious ASS. I also like how they brought characteristics and behaviours of the original Starbuck to the new one, while giving her depth the original never had.
Halso, humaniod cylons are wicked cool too. I don't remember them in the origional. Were they there too?
It has been years since I watched the original but as much as I remember, it was not nearly so dark and desperate as this one is. Yeah, they were running from the cylons and were searching for Earth, but it was much happier, as were all most shows back then. I like how this remake has lost the innocence and shows humans running, in fear of extinction, and turning on each other. It is a much more honest appraisal of humanity.
I think that is one thing I really like about sci-fi books and movies. It often takes one far flung condition and then runs with it, exploring the very edges of humanity and human behavior, exposing the benevolent and the evil in each of us.
Honestly, I like aliens too.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm excited you're watching! At the moment I'm feeling peeved at BSG because they cut the very last season randomly in half... they showed half of it this late spring then stopped all of a sudden and won't finish UNTIL NEXT YEAR.

However, it is awesome and you will enjoy it! I never watched the originals at all and probably couldn't now, but have heard similar praise about the characters being more developed etc. I take it the original was pretty cheesy.

Jenn said...

Also, p.s. you have the advantage of watching it all more at the same time since it's all out on DVD now. I had a problem keeping some early stuff in my head as the series went on because it's now been years where they take like 8 month breaks in between airing new episodes.