27 September, 2008

Dignity

I've had two medical appointments in less than a week and feel unsettled about the whole thing. Monday's appointment was my yearly physical. First, the johnny they gave me had a heart lead sticker stuck inside it with some one's hair stuck to that. Eeeww! So, I took it off and put the johnny on only to find that it did not even come close to fitting. It did not close, in fact, there was a good 3 - 4 inches of exposed flesh. So I covered up with the paper "blanket." So very undignified. I tried to go through the exam acting like none of that bothered me or made me feel wrong for being a person of size. But inside, I felt I was the wrong size, not the stupid johnny. It was not fun.

Today, I had my first mammogram. The woman seemed almost irked that I did not know how to stand or move my body. Her directions were vague like "turn in." When I asked her to clarify, she said never mind. She did not even direct me how to place my breast, MY BREAST, on the machine. Instead, she grabbed it and placed it there and moved it about. Did you know it isn't just your breast they squish the hell out of? No, it is your chest/shoulder muscle and that is the part that hurts. When I would close my eyes to try to go to some inner peace place, she would tell me "eyes open." I have no idea why. After 7 x-rays, I left the room with red marks all around each breast and feeling useless and stupid.

I am deeply unhappy that I felt like I was the wrong size at my physical, like the johnny was a not so subtle message from the nurse to loose weight. And I am deeply unhappy about the mammogram tech. One should not leave an appointment, especially one as important as screening for breast cancer, feeling useless and stupid. This has been a very bad week for health care experiences for me.

Sadly, I have at least one more undignified appointment coming up, a uterine ultrasound, both external and internal. I cannot wait to see how that one goes.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh no! I am VERY UPSET about your physical and then the mean tech at your mammogram! So unacceptable!

I am really lucky in that I feel like my PCP is super awesome and very cool and easy to talk to, and not judgmental. I of course have not been lucky enough to experience a mammogram yet but would feel exactly like you did if I was treated the same. However, after hearing your story I now hope that I would tell that bitch to SUCK IT and treat me better. Because I would actually be punishing her for her colleague who was mean to you too.

Anyway, I'm sad that you felt bad because it is not anyone's job at any medical facility to make you feel bad about yourself or stupid or like you don't know what you're doing.

So, to the world of medicine, a giant FUCK YOU. If you are so miserable in your job that you have to be a fucking asshole to your patients then QUIT AND GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE. Seriously.

OK.

Anyway, on a lighter note, I very much enjoyed your comment about Clementine's muscles, as the same description applies to me... my muscles are soft and squishy. Ha ha.

Canada said...

"eyes open"? WTF?!?!?!
Ugh, I think I need to have one of those soon. NOT looking forward to it!