12 March, 2008

@#%$!!!!!

Yesterday morning, I was driving in to work. Things were great; I was listening to Morning Edition (Bob Oaks is the bomb). And suddenly, there was a growing noise from the rear of the car. I was not anywhere near an exit from the Pike. I kept going in hopes of getting off at the Cambridge/Alston tolls. No such luck. The tire blew and started flapping and the steering got wonky. So I pulled over to the right lane as there was no shoulder. I was driving on the rim by then and decided I better stop. My hazards went on the second the tire blew so I hoped and prayed people would see them and get over. It was so scary. Cars came up on me so fast, not slowing down until the last moments. I was so scared for my life and safety. I called AAA immediately and they contacted the State Police who help out on the Pike. Within a few minutes, a man showed up who worked for the towing company that was coming to help me out. He tried flagging traffic away but the drivers were not paying attention. He came back to me and said we had to drive on because someone would get killed. So I drove on the rim to a pull off place. By then, the tow truck had arrived. He changed my tire there with me in the car. It was weird but less scary. However, I was still quite frightened for the tow truck man because cars were whizzing by at 70+ MPH. I was able to call Clementine and tell her I was OK and what had happened. When my car was back in order and the AAA paperwork finished, I drove on into work. I I called Clementine to let her know I was OK, I had stopped at a Starbucks to have diarrhea and a coffee. Lovely. The car was fixed while I was at work to the tune of $158. But I don't care. I had the money in my account and I am alive.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

This is very scary! I'm so glad you're OK!

Clementine said...

Terrifying. Also, NO! No blowouts on the Pike! I'm so very grateful that you're safe.