01 June, 2007

Bad Week

This week is rough, filled with lots of feeling bad. After five action packed days with my in-laws, I returned to work. Tuesday is one of my 12 hour work days where I am gone from the house for 16 hours. In the late afternoon, as I was returning to the hospital after a coffee run, I got a call from Clementine that Hester was running a low fever. I felt so bad that I was enjoying a coffee from Starbucks while my baby is sick and Clementine is taking care of her and all the other children in her child care. I felt that my place was not work but to be home with our child, making her feel better. That night, when I got home, Hester and Clementine were already in bed. It is common for me not to even see our daughter awake on my long days.

Wednesday morning, I saw Hester for her 4 AM feeding and then got ready to go to work again. That evening, we were to have haircuts. After work, I had a bit of time between work and the appointment so I went to Porter Square to buy some yarn for projects for pregnant coworkers. I was having such a nice relaxing time looking at yarn, listening to my Zen on the T, and walking around the city. I called Clementine to get an ETA on her arrival and heard Hester’s loud cry and Clementine’s harried voice. A nightmare of screaming and puking was taking place on the MassPike. For a summary of that nightmare, read here. I felt so bad and guilty that I was having such a nice relaxing time and they were having an awful time. I went to the Starbucks near our hairdresser and awaited Clementine and Hester’s arrival. I felt like I should be in the car, caring for Hester, helping Clementine out but instead I was sitting there, drinking tea, and knitting. After our haircuts, Hester cried and puked for much of the trip home. I tried as hard as I could to soothe her, singing, holding her hand, stroking her head, and talking to her but nothing worked. She finally fell asleep. I felt like the most horrible mother in the world for wanting to get a hair cut when it clearly was too much for my baby, putting my vanity in front of my child’s needs. At the same time, I felt so frustrated that I cannot even get a simple good haircut since becoming a mother. It was horrible.

Hester slept though the night but woke up before I left for work Thursday. I left for work with Clementine crying, frustrated that Hester ate only 1 ounce of formula and then proceeded to play with her toes, refusing to eat more. Through the day, I tried to call a bunch to offer Clementine what support I could from afar. She told me how Hester was still not eating much and that the other kids were having a difficult time getting along. She sounded so harried and upset. Meanwhile, I am in the air conditioned hospital away from all that drama, having a pretty mellow day. I was dying to get home and see my child awake and happy. I wanted to listen to my wife in person and give her the support she needs. But the train was messed up and delivered us an hour late home. By then, Hester was asleep for the night and I was overwrought with guilt and feelings of being a bad mother for never being home with my child when she needed me or home with my wife when she needed me. I ended up crying and dumping all this plus family crap and work crap all over Clementine. So much for being supportive.

At 2 AM, Hester woke up for a bottle. I got up even though Clementine had offered to do my night after my crying fit. I do savor the moments with Hester. She smiled her big gummy grin as I changed her diaper. I loved feeling the weight of her in my arms as I fed her the bottle. I put her down and went to bed again, got up at 5 and went to work for another long day. When I get home tonight, Hester, and maybe Clementine, will be asleep. I miss my daughter and my wife. I wish I could do a better job at balancing all this and being a good mother.

4 comments:

Clementine said...

I don't even know what to say. This week blew, BIGTIME. I have to hope that the weekend will be better.

Anonymous said...

Ladies I didn't know your week was going so crappy! I'm glad I at least entertained Clementine a little with our college-esque gossip.

You will recover over the weekend! I say try not to overdo anything, put stuff on hold and try to just hang out and chill together. Do something nice for a treat maybe for yourselves.

Petunia, you're a great mother, sometimes there's no helping that you won't be there or that your baby will be inconsolable. Don't doubt that you're a great wife and mom.

LymeAware said...

Oh man! This jumble of sick baby, long hours, hard hurting feelings- one after another all week. Sounds huge. I'm sorry for it and hope the weekend could provide some healing and salve over these pains.

The balance between work and family becomes very hard for many- particularly women I think. I think it is special and important for you to take small moments of comfort when you can. I struggle when I'm away from home (I just got back from 10 days away) and know that David is having a hard time. It's hard to enjoy myself when I know he is suffering. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that if I can let myself enjoy some things alittle bit when I'm gone, I'm more capable of providing more of myself when I come home. I'm more energized and able to be more present with him.

But I also know that when we have such vastly different experiences (one really enjoying our time, the other suffering), that can be very hard too.

Hope this week is better! Please take good care.

muse said...

I came here to post this link that might interest you (http://hour.ca/news/news.aspx?iIDArticle=12253) but I'm sorry to read that it was such a tough time! *hugs*

I don't know what it's like to live with a baby, but I sure understand the difficulty of balancing work and family now! I went to bed past midnight and am up at 5 am to work before starting my "official" work shift at 8:30... I haven't had time to blog in weeks... I am frazzled at this point: so much work all the time, and living with a family = more work too (tons more cleaning, cooking, shopping, entertaining the kids, etc., I feel like I am always "on duty" or should be, to be a good... stepmom I guess). At the same time I feel bad about resenting it/feeling overwhelmed at times, after all this is what I've always wanted!

I try to give myself some "me" moments now and then (usually going to a movie with my best friend", but sometimes I long for my carefree days of being able to just put everything on hold to relax/be lazy when I wanted. Then I look at where I am now (nice house, loving partner, great stepkids) vs last year (crappy appartment, divorced & still torn up about feeling like I should patch it up with the addict/gambling/compulsive liar ex), and I feel rather silly for wanting to "have it all _and_ freedom" ;p

I guess it's normal adjustment for everyone!