07 November, 2007

Singing the Blues

Yesterday, I was singing the blues, the commuter blues for real. On my late days, I drive in and park at a subway station. On the drive in, I was trying to stay awake so I drank my coffee and a juice. The subway ride is 30-45 minutes long. About 5 minutes into it, I felt the effects of the coffee and juice in my bladder. But all the stops on the subway there are residential areas. I tried to distract myself by knitting Clementine's Christmas present, but did not work. My urgency to go made me F it up many times which made me have to frog it over and over. Finally, the subway approached stops with restaurants where I knew there were restrooms. I stared at the map and pondered which was the best bet. I settled on waiting one more stop because there's a Starbucks very close to the T and they always have restrooms (except that one in Central Square, bastards). I booked it out of the subway, up the stairs, and over to the Starbucks. Imagine my delight to see the door to the woman's bathroom slightly ajar. No more waiting. Since the store was busy, and since I still had to ride across town to work and did not want to repeat my urgent bathroom seeking, I snuck out without purchasing a drink. I ended up being 10 minutes late but I arrived MUCH HAPPIER than I was early into the subway ride.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

OMG, this is so bad - but I have an almost worse story for you.

A couple weeks ago my dad was in NJ for business and drove up to CT to visit his family on the weekend. Dan drove us down to visit w/them. As Dan was driving me back to the Framingham commuter rail station on Sunday, I was happily drinking a giant sippy bottle of diet dr. pepper my aunt and uncle had sent me away with. Only then I had to pee. Really really bad. And we accidentally missed the only available rest area on the pike. And as it was we were cutting it really close and I was scared of missing the train. Dan had a party in NH to drive to so I really had to make this train or else sit and wait for the next one for like 3 hours (you know how awesome the commuter rail is on Sundays).

So he gets me there just in time and luckily (sort of) the train was a little late. But I obviously wasn't going to chance running around near there trying to find a bathroom. I had to go so bad I really got scared I was literally going to pee my pants or my bladder was going to explode or something. It was awful!!! I kept hoping the train might have a bathroom, but really had no idea if it would. I didn't know what I was going to do.

So I get on and ask the conductor and he says yes (THANK GOD) but it's all the way at the front of the train. So after he takes my ticket I get up to go find it. I get about 2 cars up and there's a bar blocking me from going any further. So I had to go back and ask him and he says, "Oh, just open it." Um, OK. Also, on some of the passes between cars the OUTSIDE DOOR was open, so if I made a misstep I would literally be tossed from the train. WTF?

So I made it and of course the bathroom was SO DISGUSTING but I so didn't care anymore, I threw my stuff down on the disgusting floor and was so happy.

It was just about the most awful thing ever.

I feel your pain!!!

Hashbrown said...

Girl, that is bad! I have been on that train when they don't have a bathroom car. Needless to say, in the morning, I don't touch my coffee until we are minutes from South Station.

I feel your pain too! In the Bladder!!