07 June, 2008

Hospital Q

A few things have happened at work over the past few months that have been uncomfortable for me as a queer person. One that is more recent and has stuck with me for a while was when a coworker wanted to play for me the two gay songs from the musical "Avenue Q." She thought I would find them funny; I did not. Alright, the songs were mildly amusing but the fact she thought I would like them because I am gay did not thrill me at all. As I sat there listening to songs who's main theme was the fear of coming out, I watched her chortle until she was nearly in tears. I was not amused at all at this point. When the songs ended, I said I had to go see a patient or something and left. I did not tell her my feelings about the songs for a) everyone in my dept. is thrilled about "Avenue Q" currently, b) I don't want to come off as the angry militant dyke, and c) I wanted to think about my reaction.



I talked with Clementine that evening about it. She understood where i was coming from and said she would feel about the same too. She said she thought I was upset because it is a musical for younger people and I am too old for it. I heard what she was saying and agreed to a point. But i thought it was something more.

I was upset that my coworker, who probably has never had to live in the closet, fearful to be her true self because of family, church, societal rejection, loosing a job, loosing housing, violence, self-fear/loathing, etc., was getting her jollies listening to a song about having a beard (made up or fake girlfriend for a gay man). I have been in the position to fear coming out of the closet, fearful of society, loosing my internship, loosing friends, loosing housing, scorn, and violence. I have been there when the pressures to be your honest true self are warring with the pressures to hide and you feel like one will cause you to explode while the other will crush you. That was years ago but I remember it well. More recently, despite living very out and open, every day there are options and choices to make of do i come out to this person or not, do I say something to the librarian, the plumber, the patient's mother, the waitress, etc. How dare she laugh at this, this woman who has no idea, no hint of understanding of what it is to be under these pressures. How dare she laugh and share it with me, expecting me to find it funny because I am gay?

It could be the thing where when you are a minority, it is OK to poke fun at yourself and the group to which you belong but if you are part of the majority, it is not cool to poke fun at a minority group. Some language and jokes can be off-limits for members of the majority. Like Clementine can call me a dyke but if my straight coworkers cannot. If Clementine had played the song for me, I may have had a totally different experience and laughed my ass off, but that is because she knows. My coworker, from what I can tell, does not know. Not at all.

It seems to be a culture at the hospital to share anti-queer comments with me too, as they look to me to support their f'd up viewpoints. Comments have been made to me about a transgender kid who comes in periodically to the hospital. Many of us have known this kid since early school age and now the kid is a teen. We have known him as a boy who loved Barbie. Now she appears to be living as a woman. And my coworkers think it is OK to come to me with comments about her appearance and what she chooses to wear. They think I will understand and sympathize with their discomfort. I try to educate but it falls on deaf ears and the more I try the worse it gets.

I reached the end of my rope about it and emailed management that I have heard these comments. I pointed out how it creates a unsafe environment for the queer and transgender kids at the hospital. They listened and are working to provide education to the staff about GLBTQ issues. They even asked my input on possible speakers. Good, huh?

Well, I guess it is time for this because the head of the nurse education staff told me that she had to Google LGBTQ to find out what it stood for. She thought it was funny she did not know.

4 comments:

Shirky said...

that is funny. funny STRANGE. But then, I had to google Avenue Q. Thank goodness for google anyway. Google never lets me down.

I think the best one can hope for with dumbasses is that they Shut Up.

Jenn said...

Good for you for saying something Hashbrown!

That is totally asanine of your coworkers. I'm a little surprised that people are so ignorant living here in Mass, but I guess I shouldn't be, as not everyone living here is as clued in as they obviously should be. Still, it can be shocking and upsetting how ignorant people are of their inappropriate actions and comments.

Canada said...

It almost sounds as if this coworker is going out of her way to try to tell you that she ISN'T prejudiced, and this is her extremely misguided way of doing so. Some people's social skills are truly lacking.
As for the trans=gendered teen, that is horrible that the staff are critical!!! As if the poor patient hasn't had to deal with enough (burns aren't easy to cope with at the best of times, let alone when one's entire identity is in turmoil!)
And I did know what LGBTQ stood for, even though we don't have the Q as part of the acronym around here :)

LymeAware said...

Hashbrown, I can sense the pain and discomfort this environment would necessarily bring. It feels as though you are being put on the outside. Whatever their intentions, there is a lack of acknowledgement of where you are and what being a lesbian means to you within your professional life. I agree with Canada that this may have been this woman's attempt to reach out to you and tell you that she wants to be with you in something fun while acknowledging that you are gay. The problem is that she isn't acknowledging the pain that's there. And, more importantly she is creating a divide between you by bringing this to you and laughing about it. I totally feel that it is inappropriate for a heterosexual co-worker to bring this to you, who isn't open to hearing your pain and wants to "have a good time" at this expense. Like you said, if Clem played it with you it might be different. But, within an environment that doesn't encourage your feelings and further, is actually antagonistic and prejudicial, it is really not cool.

I'm sorry this happened Hasbrown. Really.

I wanted to tell you that I actually did see Avenue Q once. I really enjoyed it and thought it was a wonderful musical. I thought it opened up some areas that are "off-limits" in society and brought them up in ways that more people could relate to them and see the painful ways that they relate to others. It made people look at their prejudices. But, having said that, I was still horrified to hear that she played the TWO gay songs for you. Um, hello? The purpose of the songs is to open up a conversation with people who think they can't talk about areas that people are biased about. Not to play them specifically for someone who often suffers as a result of those biases and laugh superficially about it!

You wouldn't take a song that makes fun of people's prejudices about African-Americans and go up to your one black co-worker to play it for them and laugh about it. The reason those songs are there is because there is pain under them. For a person who is not privy to the depth of that pain and doesn't care to ask about it and then to playa a song that makes fun of it... that's...well, painful!! The reason it's different for Clementine to play it is that she understands it.

Anyway...you said a lot of this already, but I just wanted you to know that your post touched me and I hear you. I'm so impressed that you are speaking up about some of this with the admins at the hospital. Good for you.