01 May, 2008

More Knitting Tales of Woe

Remember this monstrous hat?


Well, after felting, it became this cute hat.

It perfectly fit Hester's 12 month old head. It is a pattern in Knit One, Felt Two. Since it was so cute and my favorite color, I decided I wanted one too to be matchy matchy with Hester. So I figured out how big it needed to be before knitting to fit me. Supposedly. Perhaps my math was fuzzy because it was HUGE when I finished knitting it.


But I thought, It may work out. Felting shrinks it a lot some times. No such luck this time. It is the size of a small trash can. Much too large to be a hat. So my hat became a slipper basket for the wee little ones that Clementine cares for.

Better luck next time!

4 comments:

LymeAware said...

Ah the world of felting! I have yet to attempt the felting, but it looks too fun! Except when it doesn't work out ;) Sorry about that. A slipper basket sounds nice though...and Hester's hat is TOO CUTE! I love the way the i-cord turned out on top.

Thanks for your kind comments on my blog too. I've thought of you often while working through my masters, as I know you warned me that it would be tons of work. It's nice to know others who have done it! (Very rare around here.)

I hope we can meet in person one of these days too. Until then, it's nice to reconnect online!

Jenn said...

I'm sad you can't be matchy matchy but Hester's hat is so very cute!!! Speaking of matchy matchy, next time I see you guys we have to have a forced Auntie-baby matchy matchy picture in our pink hats.... even though it will be May. Um, yeah.

Clementine said...

It's May, but it's hella chilly! I had on gloves yesterday and I made the kids wear their hoods when we played outside. Bring on the matchy-matchy pink hats!

Jenn said...

It's true. It isn't really time to put away your winter clothes around here until June. I distinctly remember a few years ago making a mental note that I was wearing my winter coat on June 1. Awesome.