14 May, 2008

Strike 2

OK, so it is crunch time for Clementine's birthday and I have 2 strikes. Good lord, I gotta pull something together soon or . . . .

Actually, she says she does not want anything for her birthday except cake, singing, and a card from Hester. Hester and I have other plans. We want Clementine to know just how much we treasure her by picking out something wicked awesome for her that she will love.

I have come up with two ideas that have flopped. The first was "The Chocolate Tour." Sounds good, huh? First, we would drive to Walpole, NH to Burdick Chocolates headquarters to see (and eat) from the mother ship of fine chocolates! Then after that feast de cocoa, we would drive up to Burlington, VT. There we would visit the Lake Champlaine Chocolate factory and Ben and Jerry's Ice cream factory, as well as doing other fun things. This trip had to be cancelled due to the fact that the Lake Champlaine factory is only open for tours on weekdays and Clementine could not take a weekday off this year for the trip.

The second idea flopped tonight. I distinctly remembered Clementine talking about wanting a hammock for our yard a few years ago. I ordered a nice hammock and was all proud I had found a great gift. In talking to her tonight, I learned a) she does not feel comfortable relaxing in our yard because of icky neighborhood, b) she reminded me she cannot swing on a swing without feeling ill, c) she got seasick while scuba diving from the motion, d) she has actually never tried a hammock and does not know if she will get ill or not. Yeah, so that isn't going to work. Hello returns.

So anyone have any good ideas? Toss me a bone!

12 comments:

Shirky said...

ooh, reconsider the trip!
even on saturdays and sundays you can look through the window at the LCC factory floor from the shop, and you can see them make fudge at the C St shop, and across the st from there you can stop and say hey to my dad!! he will make you good coffee! he is the tall one who looks like his name could be "mustache".
we are going mem day weekend! We could take you on my dad's boat! My mom has lots of bonine!

I did a silhouette of the boy for my mom she loved it. it was easy too. man i am bad at the ideas game.

Hashbrown said...

That would be wicked fun but we are already booked for a "Mystical Fish Adventure" trip that weekend. That trip consists of a on line package I found that contains an overnight stay at a Mystic CT hotel for a family up to 4 people, everyone gets free hot breakfast in the morning, and up to 4 tickets to go to the Mystic Aquarium. It was a good deal if anyone is interested. Go to About.com and enter New England Deals. That lady lists all sorts of deals from hotels to Dunkin. A veritable clearing house of NE deals. So sadly, it would be wicked cool to join you but we will be looking at fish, eating free breakfast, and going to Mystic Pizza, which is a whole different embarassing story I should tell.

However, Shirky, i will recondsider the trip for a different weekend as a possibility.

Shirky said...

MYSTICAL FISH ADVENTURE!!! Ha!

sounds like something involving shrooms.

You'll have to come up sometime though. I know you like coffee!

Clementine said...

Honey, I think the hammock IS a good idea! And you know I'm dying to do the chocolate tour. Seriously though, what about a nice cake and a card from the baby? That would make a great birthday, I swear!

Shirky said...

we have a hammock (NIB) if you want a risk free hammock trial!

Jenn said...

Didn't we sit on a hammock at I.'s mom's place when we went there for 4th of July in 1999??? I think we did, Clementine.

yehdavidd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
yehdavidd said...

No ideas here, but wanted to say how impressed I am with all the cool ideas you've had so far. Even if they've flopped, I love em :) Have you guys been to the Crayola factory in PA? Maybe that's too far for you guys. I never actually went in but have fond memories for some reason.

P.S. What the heck?! Has my husband secretly signed onto my laptop too?! I'm in Philly currently and I belatedly found that he was signed on here too! Kind of sweet, but sorry about all the deleted posts.

LymeAware said...

No ideas here, but wanted to say how impressed I am with all the cool ideas you've had so far. Even if they've flopped, I love em :) Have you guys been to the Crayola factory in PA? Maybe that's too far for you guys. I never actually went in but have fond memories for some reason.

P.S. What the heck?! Has my husband secretly signed onto my laptop too?! I'm in Philly currently and I belatedly found that he was signed on here too! Kind of sweet, but sorry about all the deleted posts. The sad part is that after I deleted the first post, I did the exact same thing again- it's too early ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Abigail--we did go to the Crayola factory several years ago and it was pretty neat! Thanks for the suggestion.

Hashbrown, how about this: A tiny cake from Flour! That would be a great b-day gift.

Jenn said...

Hashbrown,

I feel your pain in that if you want to do something big it can be hard to figure out for one so undemanding as Miss Clementine.

I think your thoughtfulness is more important than the actual gift. I say get her an extra special treat like the Flour cake she is suggesting and then just treat her like the pretty pretty princess she is for her special day. :)

Good luck!

Canada said...

Hashbrown, birthday tiaras that you make are always a hit!

And how jealous am I that you are going to Mystic Pizza!!!!! OMG, I could add that to my list of movie-inspired placed that I want to go to (since Clementine and I already covered Serendipity)