05 September, 2006

Heirlooms

I have a lot of items from my family, furniture, paintings, pictures, letters, etc. Some, I am completely happy having out. Others I struggle with. I don't want to see the some of the items because they remind me of what I once had and do not have now. It stings my eyes and weighs on my heart.

But the other day, in sorting through things that do not bring forth such sadness. It is a bunch of letters and documents from around my birth. There is my birth announcement, congratulations cards from friends and family, notes from friends and family, and my hospital bracelet. Amongst these treasures, I found a letter to my mother from my Great Grandmother. It was a simple letter asking how my mother was doing and telling her about how they were. In it, there was this envelope of herb seeds. My Great Grandmother stated in the letter that she did not remember the name of the plant but it was in her garden. I do not know if these seeds will still grow but I am going to consult with a horticulturist friend. I hope they will grow for I would love to look out in my garden and see my Great Grandmother B's garden.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so cool! Let us know if they'll grow.

Clementine said...

I love this. I was so excited when you found the seeds, and I sure hope they'll grow. It would be amazing to have heirloom seeds from your great grandma's garden in our little garden. Wow.

Hashbrown said...

I will JPP. I love it too AJWP!