02 September, 2006

More Late Nights Keeping Me From Blogging

So, all of the home repair finished Monday night. Tuesday night was our last MAPP class, the horrible parenting class we have to take to adopt. As usual, I did not enjoy it. But this time I thought, fuck it, if I want to wiggle or look bored, I will. I had been trying to look interested and not wiggle the past seven weeks and it was KILLING ME! I would leave the class with a huge knot between my shoulders from holding myself still.

At the start of the class, the social workers said they would be letting us out early. I stupidly got my hopes up. Then at 8:30 PM they said the class would be running late. Everyone groaned. They gave us a test over the information covered in the class. Then they gave us an evaluation form. You know I was writing down a ton of stuff about
stereotyping, racism, heterosexism, and sexism within the class, and not just in the participants. Hell, they asked for the feedback. Never ask a lesbian for feedback unless you want an earful!

Wednesday night, I sat down to blog and I hear Peaches crying for help. I ran down the stairs and was about knocked over by the most foul smell. Clara had been sprayed by a skunk at point blank range. Oh, the humanity! Let me tell you, that is not a good smell. If you want the full story, go here. So that night was messed up for blogging too.

Thursday night, we walked around our neighborhood with a
fantastic woman who is running for state representative against the horrible incumbent in our district. She really is great. She supports LGBT rights, women's rights, openly talks about being a feminist, has new ideas, and has a dedication to changing things in the neighborhood for the better. If you are in our district and ward, Primary day is September 19th!

Friday night, Peaches had a date with her BFF, so I stayed at work, revising a manuscript for publishing. It is about the effect of music therapy on nurses doing procedures on children receiving music therapy interventions. This is the third time the journal has sent it back to me for revisions. One of the editors is great and has wonderful feedback. She has helped to make it a much better paper. However, the other one is CRAZY and obviously does not like music therapy. She even wrote on a previous form that the manuscript and study has no relevance to nursing care. But, if I want it published, I must address her stupid concerns. I stopped working around 8 PM and joined JPP and Peaches at Starbucks for a lovely coffee beverage, decaf Americano!

I am back now and maybe next week will not be so crazy. Let's hope.

3 comments:

squasha said...

first off, you two inspire me with all your crazy hgtv-quality projects! if i ever want to move into a barn, i'll hire you both to fix it up into a gleaming palace. i hope you are getting some rest----remember to stretch (something i always forget to do when using different muscle sets)...

also, that crazy journal editor really just must have had a series of bad days when she received the revised article. her comments just don't make sense. don't let it get to you-you're amazing, and so is your work!

Anonymous said...

Music is such a powerful force in humans - I don't know how the 2nd editor could possibly think it's not relevant to nursing care - that's crazy-talk. I used to play soft new-agey music on 11-7 shifts for the atmosphere & no other nurse had Alzheimer's pts. who slept so well. And I was definitely positively affected as well.

Also, not related to music therapy specifically, but related insofar as calming effects - I once accidentally tranced out a nurse who was starting my friend's pre-op IV. My friend was several years clean & sober & was nervous about the surgery & how to deal with post-op pain. So we did a little pre-op visualization journey & when we were finished I noticed the nurse was very floaty & relaxed in her movements as she finished up the IV insertion, then she sort of floated off into the sunset with a little half-smile on her face, lol. She still did a beautiful & professional job getting my friend ready for surgery, but her energy had ramped way down from brusque to a serene level. One of my favorite happy little accidents.

Hashbrown said...

Hey Squasha,
NO MORE HOME REPAIR! Seriously, you should come over some time. Well, when Clara does not reek of skunk. Gotta wash her again. EEEWWWW! Also, stretching would have been good. Ugh, i am getting old.

Both Neasa and Squasha,
I know that reviewer is NUTS but I gotta work with her to get the manuscript published. But, I have started writing to the editor in chief about a few points that I will not be addressing for they will muddy the manuscript too much. Take that Reviewer 2!