23 October, 2006

Next Door

I have been sitting on this one for a few weeks because I just recently could actually think about it. So a level three sex offender moved next door to our house. Frightening at best for someone who is a survivor herself, like me. I could not even deal with it at the time. Peaches would talk to me about it and I could feel myself shutting down to only ears. I could not think about it or even feel the fear that was clamping about me. I have to give her a huge shout out for she is nothing if not resourceful. She got the info on the laws. She called the sex offenders registry board, the police, our state senator, and our city councilor. The police came to arrest the man about a week after he moved in. Now the apartment is being shown to new people. Thank fricking God!

My reaction to this man is so different to my reaction to the people who lived on the other side of our house last year. They were selling drugs and their behavior was getting out of hand. I was all over that one, calling vice and talking to our state representative. I felt extremely empowered to utilize the avenues available to me to stop the drug trade next door. I was a frightened by their behavior and retaliation but that did not stop me. But this sex offender really paralyzed me.

I hate it so much that I am still so deeply affected by being molested. I hate that I can be frozen by fear. But I understand why and do not direct the anger inward.

Thank you Peaches for bravely taking this one on alone. I know I was not any help. I hope you understand.

7 comments:

Canada said...

It's understandable, and that's what marriage is about - being able to lean on someone when you aren't feeling strong. I know you do that for Peaches when she needs it, I bet she was happy to do it for you.

So, he was arrested. Did he reoffend? (God, I hope not!!)

muse said...

Ditto what Canada said, and a big smile to this great example of a loving marriage in action. :)

Hashbrown said...

I agree with both of you. I have no idea if he was caught and/or why he was being arrested by the police. I just know they came for him and he did not return. We do know he did not register his new address before moving to our neighborhood and they are supposed to register it two or three weeks prior to moving. Maybe that did it. I don't know.

Psycho Kitty said...

xooxox.
I have been worrying about you guys and this thing. I'm so relieved that this particular episode is over...you know we love you, sweetie.

Clementine said...

Meh. XOXO

Hashbrown said...

Right back at ya, clemy!

Anonymous said...

You guys are wicked dorks.

But ditto what the other folks said. Clementine, she's a real force to be reckoned with. But then so are you. I'm glad you take care of each other!