31 August, 2007

Singing to my child

From the first days with Hester, I sang to her the song "Always." It is an old song, in 3/4 time, with a beautiful melody. I chose to sing it to her for it's words.

I'll be loving you, always
With a love that's true, always
When the things you planned
Need a helping hand
I will understand, always, always
Days may not be fair, always
That's when I'll be there, always
Not for just an hour
Not for just a day
Not for just a year
But always.

When I first sang it to her, I cried at the promise in the lyrics and meant every word. I sing it to her nearly every day. Now when I sing it to her, she knows it. If she is crying because she is tired, she stops crying and looks at me. And lately, she reaches up and touches my lips as I sing. I don't cry anymore when I sing it to her, but I still feel the enormity of the promise, a promise to parent differently than I was taught. A promise to never turn my back on her.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Hashbrown -

Your post just made me totally cry. You are the sweetest. Hester Willa is very lucky!

love,
JPP

Hashbrown said...

You found me out JPP. I sit up at night devising blog posts that'll make you cry. Actually, that is very kind of you to say such nice things.
Love,
Hashbrown

Anonymous said...

Well try to limit it to one JPP-crying post per week. I can only take so much. As it is, Hester's sweetness almost makes me cry every time I think about it. ;)

Hashbrown said...

Ok, once a week. I will try.

Canada said...

Awww . . . me, too with the song "Today". I still sing it to Corwin and Clara sometimes. You are such an amazing Mumzy!