14 August, 2006

Worry

About a year ago, we took our two cats, Reuben and Maddie, in for dental cleanings and extractions. When we adopted Maddie at one year old, she already had breath that could stop a truck from bad teeth so it was no surprise that she needed some teeth pulled at the age of 2. Reuben was 7 and had poor teeth as well, not to the extent of Maddie.

Maddie died after the surgery. She escaped while they were placing her in the carrier and ran about the OR. They finally got her back into her carrier. From all the excitement, she vomited and inhaled it. The blessing of this was that she died at home in Peaches arms with Reuben and I next to her. Maddie’s passing still stings; I miss her little cricket purr.

Maddie

Today, Reuben had to go in again for a dental cleaning and extraction. He has two more teeth that have gone bad. When I found out that he needed the surgery again, my heart ached again as it has not for months. It was with trepidation that I took him in to the vet this morning. I do not want to loose another cat that way.

The vet’s assistant called a bit ago to say that Reuben did well through the surgery and was waking up from the anesthesia. I can go pick him up at 4 PM. I am slightly relieved that he is doing fine from the surgery but will not be relieved completely until he comes home and plops on the bed.

Reuben

Update

Reuben is home now and doing ok. He is a bit nutty from the anethesia but that will wear off as the night goes by. He is fangless now. Poor Bubba!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck, I'm sure Mr. Reuben will be plopped on your bed happily before you know it. Give him a kiss for me!