18 April, 2006

Changes

I have felt so helpless since falling on Sunday. I cannot do much because I am on crutches and have to keep my foot elevated and iced at all times. Tonight, my wife was preparing for an interview after the children left and I could not do much of anything to help except I did wiped down the surfaces in the bathroom. Also, over the past two days, I feel like I am a burden because she already has children to take care of and I am asking her to get me more ice packs, a glass of water, coffee, etc. I cannot go get anything because I don’t have a spare hand. I do wear a hoodie a lot so I can pile things in the pocket and even the hood if I am desperate. Periodically yesterday, I felt like crying because I am so helpless, this is such a stupid accident, I cannot work, and worry that it will not heal for a very long time.

I did start to feel better today when I started working on a professional manuscript for publishing. I had wanted to get working on this for months but just did not have the time. And here I am blogging instead of working on it. Do I feel bad? Nah, I will do it after I blog.

It is funny how one silly second, stepping on a ball, can change your life so much. The second before, I am moving, doing, and active. The second after, I am helpless, immobile, and unproductive. The second before, I had plans to start walking to work from the train station and to start riding my bike from the train station in my hometown to my house. The second after, I am wondering if I can afford to take a taxi from South Station to work so I don’t have to walk a ton on my crutches. Life is just weird like that.

2 comments:

Clementine said...

Poor Hashie! No worries. I'm happy to get things for you--it really is better for you to stay off your ankle. Also, it's nice to see you during the day!

Canada said...

It's amazing how one second can change so much. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is thankful that it is just a sprain - one second could mean a car accident or so much worse. Keep it elevated, and let AJWP play Florence Nightingale. I doubt that you're a demanding patient (hint - if you ask for a bell to call for service, you've become demanding!). And stop planning all this bike riding/walking - this is a sign!