13 April, 2006

First Kiss

Seven years ago today, my wife and I started dating. For a few weeks, we were working up to dating with long conversations in person and on the phone, awkward moments of almost kissing, and lots of fluttery feelings when daydreaming. Finally, that night after band practice, we stood next to our cars talking and finally kissed.

We spent the night together, much of it talking as we embraced upon her bed. That morning as we prepared to part, I asked if we were dating or was it a causal thing. She said we were dating and at that moment, my world shifted. I knew that moment that this was no ordinary relationship forming and I was filled with a calmness I had never experienced when first starting up with someone.


I know we are silly to celebrate so many days. Good lord, we have three wedding anniversaries, why do we both remember April 13th on top of all the rest? I remember it because this relationship and Peaches herself have changed my life so profoundly. It is easy to let our awareness of the special-ness between us shift out of focus as life’s demands capture our attentions. Keeping this day and every anniversary day in my mind helps me to cherish the beauty that is Peaches and all that she has brought to my life.

5 comments:

Canada said...

There's nothing wrong with having many days to celebrate. The fact that you're both women means that you'll both remember. Hubby and I have 2 days - wedding and first date. And to make it convenient, the kids were born on the first date anniversary - doubling up increases the chance of remembering, lol!

Anonymous said...

I think remembering all the days is definitely sweet. Hashbrown, you're so sweet. This post makes my heart happy.

Hashbrown said...

Canada, don't be so sure that women will remember dates better than men. I totally forgot one of our marriage dates and it was not a good thing.

Clementine said...

Ha ha! I remember that. Wasn't it on NPR, too?

Anyway, thank you for this v. sweet post. I love you v. much!

Canada said...

Allow me to reword - you have a GREATER chance of remembering. And also, with more dates, I'm sure you can remember at least one!