27 November, 2006

Conference Highlights

Oh, girls and boys, I had a BAD cold. It is nearly gone now and I feel more like myself again.
So, let me summarize things from the big music therapy conference in Kansas City.
  1. I had meetings upon meetings to attend but most were not the type where you are so bored that you want to poke your eyes out with your pen. No, actually they were entertaining. In one meeting, we were waiting to hear if there were any new charges for us so we all started talking about our home lives. It was weird but nearly everyone in that room had adopted a child. They were all giving me advise about adoption and telling stories about traveling to get their kids or telling their kids they are adopted. I was so shocked and thrilled that there is such a supportive community right at my fingertips.
  2. My presentation went well. I think that I caught my cold then from one of my co-presenters; she was quite ill and rather voiceless. It is fine; I don't begrudge her at all. She is wicked smart and talked about tweaking the presentation and "taking it on the road." My response was "Hell yeah!" or was it "sure."
  3. I saw my SMWC buddies! We had lots of fun talking, drinking, goofing off, and listening to a crazy trio! I feel so close to those friends. We went through 2 intense week long trainings in our masters program which cemented our friendships for life. Two in particular, L1 and L2, are just dear friends and when I am with them, I feel so loved and at home. I am so grateful to have such wonderful friends but am always so sad that we live so freaking far apart. Also, thankfully, they find some things that happen at that conference to be weird too so I have someone to turn to and say "Did she really sing that?" A shout out to L1 who just got engaged to a very wonderful man! Way to go! Another shout out to L2 who should consider the whole lesbian wife thing!
  4. Each year at conference, I see my old profs from my undergraduate degree. I still feel like I have to prove myself to them and want to show off. It is crazy cause it has been like over 13 years since I graduated. But I saw one in the hall and I said hi and then blurted out, "Did you see my article in the JMT?" I was like a freaking puppy looking for a pat on the head. He said he had and congratulated me. Later we talked about me guest lecturing at the school when I am in the area. I hope I grow out of the "puppy needing praise" phase soon.
  5. Some straight man flirted with me. Canada can attest to this. She saw it all. This has not happened in years and years. I think the last man to flirt with me, straight man that is, was the psychotic straight men at the state hospital where I worked. I did not know what to do.
  6. Canada and I shared many meals of sushi and a couple martinis! Oh, we took a fantastic training together on NICU work. It is always fantastic to see her. A shout out to you, Canada! Did all the Bath and Bodywork stuff weigh too much for the airline? Did you have to pay extra?
  7. I procured another speaking gig (for money)! I was also recruited quietly for a doctoral program. I am not pursuing that yet.
  8. The lobster slippers I made for the silent auction were such a huge hit. The package they were bundled with went for $125. And I have already gotten one request for rhinoceros slippers!
  9. I had dinner and drinks with my first lover and her wife. It was great to see them again. And yes, Peaches knew we were getting together for dinner. NBD. It was 18 years ago. Ancient history!
  10. It is all such a blur now but I met lots of great people, heard about some fantastic work, and networked a ton.

2 comments:

Canada said...

Oh yes, he was a-flirtin' BIG TIME!!!! The way he shook your martini . . . yep, it was all that!!!

B&BW stuff almost made my luggage too heavy - the large bag was 1.5 lbs under. That's it. Whew! But nothing leaked.

Mmmm, sushi! And martinis!!

Which L was on the shuttle with us? She was awesome, and we had a great chat while waiting for our flights.

So, when are you coming to visit? (I will post that at least weekly on both your and Clementine's blogs until you give me a date. I will annoy you into coming to Canada!)

Glad you're feeling better.
xo

Hashbrown said...

Not for a bit, sadly. I am taking three major trips (which include flights) in 5-6 weeks so we need time to recover from all that.