09 February, 2007

A Tale of Two Titties

Here is the straight scoop on the boobs. Within one or two days of Hester's birth, my breasts started to hurt but different from the period hurt. It was centralized around the nipple. But then my period came and I was just thinking it was wicked early (2 weeks) because of the stress and the breast pain was period related.

Then, I noticed leaking from both nipples. On my 40th birthday, I pumped and got colostrum. I freaked out! But then, that Monday, I called my PCP and discussed the medication I take for acid reflux and if I could nurse with that. I then told the nurses at the NICU and asked to talk to the lactation consultant. The nurses so did not believe me. Well, to be fair, some did, others did not.

I met with the lactation consultant the following Saturday and she showed me how to pump. She instructed me to pump every three hours for 15 minutes. The nurse came to check after I finished and confirmed that it was colostrum. The nurses then wanted me to talk to the neonatalogist who is caring for Hester before nursing. I did and he wanted me to wait a week and see what happened. Meanwhile, the lactation consultant had me start fenugreek, to which I also added goats rue, blessed thistle, and alfalfa. Midweek, when I spoke to her again, she suggested I order domperidone, which I did.

That next weekend, last weekend, I spoke to another lactation consultant who was great. She taught us how to do Kangaroo care and also spoke of our many options for breast feeding. She explained the supplemental nursing system and that they could set us up with one. I felt better than I had in weeks about this breast feeding thing.

Then, that Monday, the nurses tell the other lactation consultant, not me, that they want me to see my PCP and rule out that it is not pituitary tumors causing me to lactate. Nice. So I made an appointment and saw my doctor Thursday. I was so nervous to have to explain it to her after having not felt the love from others about it. She was great and so supportive. I got the OK to breast feed from her. So I called and told the nurses and asked if the neonatalogist needed to speak to my doctor about it. He did not and they said they were just wanting to be sure I was healthy. So I called the lactation department and asked to meet with someone this weekend to learn how to use the supplemental nursing system.

I also emailed the adoption resource center and La Leche League International to see if they had any material documenting such a case. No one did. The La Leche League woman said "That is amazing! " I feel a bit like a freak of nature but Clementine, my most wonderful love, said, "You're a legend!" She is the best. Except when I asked her if my breasts had grown and she said "They are HUGE!" Not the language I wanted to hear right then.

I continued to and still do continue to get drops of colostrum. I am hopeful that the domperidone will make a difference. I dream of making enough milk to feed my child. Wish me luck.
This is a huge change for me. Remember this? I will write more but I gotta catch a train right NOW!

2 comments:

Canada said...

Wow! I still think that this is the coolest story I have EVER heard. And the LA Leche League people must be beside themselves with excitement.

Enjoy the huge boobs, and welcome to my life! :)

LymeAware said...

Wow...I'm just amazed. How wonderful! I loved hearing about your experience with this. It's incredible to me what the body is capable of- and that there are no other documented cases of this?! wow!