09 February, 2006

Gum!

I boarded the train and sat down. As I stretched out for my morning nap on the train, I felt a tell tale sticky feeling on my shoe. Gum! Nasty, lazy people.

It doesn’t help that I slept pretty bad last night. I am plagued by dreams of my parents, which I dreamt of again last night. The dream vanished upon waking but I was left with the feeling that my parents were reaching out to me and I was evading them.

You see, my parents, Mr. And Mrs. Potato (where else would a Hashbrown come from?) are bad potatoes. We have had several disagreements that have lead to the current estrangement. They are numerous and range from stupid to theological. Over the years, the rift grows and I am weary of my perpetual mourning and longing for my parents.

I once was a good potato until college. Damn liberal arts! My parents are conservative, Catholic, republicans who believe in blending in to the majority. I hit 18 and wander off to college and seven years later emerge:
1. As a liberal democrat
2. As a dyke who is active in gay civil rights campaigns
3. With a manly flat top and no dress in sight
4. As a vegetarian
5. Having dated outside my race
6. With the knowledge that I am a survivor

As I was sorting through all these changes, my parents clung tighter and tighter to their image of what I am supposed to be, heterosexual, married to a white man, having many children, Catholic, conservative republican, meat eating, and beautiful in the manner which is accepted by society. I destroyed this false image of me completely 6 years ago when I announced my engagement to my blushing bride, Peaches. Mr. and Mrs. Potato came to visit us to disrupt our engagement but failed. They saw me for who I am now and they refused (quite hurtfully and meanly) to come to our wedding. This shattered what was left of an already strained relationship.

Now, I am gathering the shards of what once held my parents and me together. I am haunted by what to do with all of these broken pieces. Do I try again to mend it and get along with them, being the good, dutiful daughter? Do I throw these pieces in the nearest dumpster and never look back? Do I tell them just how hurtful their behavior has been to me and Peaches? Or do I keep holding these shards, my heart endlessly bleeding and hurt by these sharp edges? I do not take this decision lightly and have employed a very wise therapist to accompany me through this decision.

I am left dreaming of them often while I wrestle with this horrible decision. And this morning, instead of looking straight at my decision, I direct all my frustration at the fucker who dropped his/her gum on the floor that is now stuck to the bottom of my shoe. It is much easier.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are still a good potato!!!!! We love you hashbrown!

Hashbrown said...

Thanks Jpp. I love you too, as a friend, of course.

Clementine said...

hey baby,

first, i have to laugh at your comment to jpp. you should have written "lylas" or "dnq"...oh, god, i'm cracking myself up!

second, i really love your post. you just put it all out there in cyberspace, and i'm proud of you.

love (NOT lylas),
peaches

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, DNQ is my fave. I actually never heard LYLAS before. That's even worse kind of. Well, they're both stupid.

Anyway, we can all agree that she's a good potato!

Psycho Kitty said...

Yay!!
HI!

Psycho Kitty said...

And ok...DNQ...?
I get LYLAS, but DNQ? Do Not Qualify? Dear Naughty Queen? Down Not Quilty?

Psycho Kitty said...

and because lame comments come in threes...
This is indeed a beautiful post. Sweetie, you make a new mosaic out of them, those shards. You mix them up with the beautiful things in your life and your heart, and a little of the blood you've bled over them, and the tears you've cried over them, and you make a beautiful mosaic that is the rest of your life. And you hang it on your wall, and all of us who love you admire you all the more for making such a beautiful thing out of those sharp, sharp pieces.

Clementine said...

dear pk,

i think you're an awesome friend to hashbrown. she's lucky to have you and chica in her life.

dearly not queerly,
ajwp

Anonymous said...

Hey, Dearie!

What a wonderful post--I'm so moved, wandering through a similar wasteland, trying to decide what relationship I have with my mother. Not the same, but still feeling that lost in the dark kind of feeling about how to live it...I can only wish and hope I'll be as brave as you someday!

Chica