06 February, 2006

I commute.

In 1 hour and 45 minutes, I ride the commuter train in to the station then catch the subway to my work. Each morning, I'm up at 4:50 AM to catch the 6:06 train. After working all day, I hurry to take the subway back to the station to catch the 4:58. The train gets me to the station in my home town around 6:15 PM. It can be a long day.

Some days, I like taking public transportation. I can relax, not worry about other drivers, and use the time constructively or to relax. Most mornings, I am happy to have the extra nap time. I recently received a blow up pillow for the train on my birthday. On the way home, I frequently use the time to knit, read, knit, listen to NPR or CDs. It is relaxing and calm. On these days, I am happy.

I also like commuting on public transportation when I think about the environment. I look out the window at the driving commuters and see the huge traffic jams stopping them as we sail along. My friends who drive into the city end up spending the same amount or more time than I do getting to and from work. I am proud to be one of the hundreds who ride the train faithfully, doing our part to reduce the demand for fossil fuels, pollution, congestion, and adding to the pre-existing parking nightmare.

I look at those cars on the road as we whiz past and think of how frustrated I always get in traffic. I hate the huge traffic jams. In fact, when I was to first meet my wife's family, I was stuck in one of the horrible traffic snarls getting into the city and was two hours late. Not a good first impression. And then, when we were going into the city for our rehearsal for our wedding, we were an hour late because of the traffic. I remember these days as I glide along gazing out the window.

There are other days when I am not happy to be taking public transportation. I actually hate commuting on these days. There are the days I am jammed on subway cars that smell horribly with people all squished together. I don't have to hold on because 1) there are too many people on the train and I cannot reach a rail, and 2) I will never fall because everyone is so jammed packed into the car. My favorite on days like that is when someone holds the door open and tries to shove themselves in a car that is already about to explode. They stand in the door and keep the subway from moving on to the next station, making me miss my connection.

Then there are the rude cell phone users on the train. They talk so loud, the entire car can hear their conversations. I really get annoyed hearing middle managers (mainly men) dishing trash about their employees (usually women) for nearly an hour. They talk endlessly about these employees short comings. Or there are the ones who argue with their "loved ones." Like we really want to hear all that.

If I don't get to the train early enough, I have to share a seat with other riders. Often, it is ok but there are some people who make the trip so long and annoying. There are the the people who sit with you and sigh because they want to sit alone or because we are all squished together. Hey, I don't like the closeness either but you don't hear me sighing. Or there are the people who lean their bags on you or flap their papers in your face.

I don't know which day it will be today but I better run or I will miss my train.


4 comments:

Clementine said...

hey pooka, congrats on the debut of your new blog! i can't wait to read it. let me know when you want me to post a link, okay?

Anonymous said...

way to go, mama!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you rock! Now I have to put a link on my site too. :)

Hashbrown said...

Thanks Jenny