18 May, 2006

Guilt

I finally got an email from my parents. It was a simple email, inquiring about my sprained ankle and the flooding happening in Massachusetts. It spoke volumes in what was said and what was not said. The email seemed to say to me “We care about you. We are thinking of you. We love you.” It did not say “We got your letter. We had no idea that we hurt you. We are sorry.”

When I closed my email and went to bed that night, I left a door open and guilt snuck in as I slept. I awoke smothered in it and carried it around all day. A myriad of guilty voices spoke to me throughout the day, saying “I'm not trying hard enough to fix this relationship. It is my fault entirely. I should be grateful to have anything from them. Why don’t they love me? Imust be the good daughter.” The weight of this guilt was tremendous.

The guilt worked by separating my entire history into seperate incidents not related the the whole. Looking at such small sections of my life, it was easy to then feel guilty for my actions. Looking at only a fraction of the puzzle, the full picture was not evident and it was easy to see my actions as over the top. It was not until I was half way through my therapy session that I realized how guilt had disassembled my history and disarmed me. The second I saw everything together, the guilt vanished and I could cope with my parents’ limited response.

They may only be able to express interest in a small section of me. I can tolerate that to a point but if they slight my marriage, my history, or my homosexuality, I will tell them again. And next time, I will be on the look out for open doors that the guilt may sneak through.

6 comments:

Clementine said...

You better work, Hashbrown!

Hashbrown said...

Thanks AjWp.

Psycho Kitty said...

H, you have *nothing* to feel guilty about. When I finally told my mom about the deal with her husband, she was so upset, but the first thing she did was apologize to me. And years later, when I finally told her how incredibly angry I was at her for not figuring it out in the first place and preventing it, the first thing she did was apologize again. She didn't make excuses or avoid the subject, she just told me she understood why I would feel that way and that she was so sorry.

What I'm trying to say is, as someone who had that experience and as a mother myself, your parents owe you an apology, even if you haven't been the perfect daughter. If I had that sort of message from one of my children, even if I thought they'd misinterpreted my feelings or even if I thought they were in the wrong about the situation, I would be devestatingly sorry that my child did not feel loved by me. I could not leave that sorrow unaddressed, as your parents have done by not even acknowledging your pain or your message. Nothing you might have done or not done makes that ok.

Hashbrown said...

Thanks everyone. I will fight the guilt tooth and nail until my last breath if I must for I will not ever go back to how I felt.

Neasa, I still am devistated that they cannot accept all of me. Or even acknowledge all of me. I don't know if I will ever heal from that hurt but I am trying to live with their limitations in a way that I do not hurt myself anymore by expeciting more from them. It is all easier said than done.

PK, I could never express the joy I have felt over the past two years since you and Chica found me again. The fact that we have gone back to being close and dear friends after nearly 20 years apart amazes me. Your words and support and love mean so much and help more than you will ever know.

Psycho Kitty said...

H, I feel that I'm the fortunate one to have reconnected with YOU, and to have had the opportunity to rekindle our friendship--and get to know your lovely wife in the bargain! Fortunate indeed, sweetie.

Hashbrown said...

Lord, Neasa, I hear you. I don't know how to make my heart and spirit catch up except to be very vigilant. I am lucky that I rarely see my parents (1 time in the last five years) so I do not have to use the personal skills that often. And Big G is right, it is another fucking opportunity for growth. Growing sucks sometimes.