02 May, 2006

Power to the People

This morning I logged onto Yahoo to check my email account. When ever I am there, I always check the news items they are featuring because I am curious what is reported and how. I was horrified to see a story by the Associated Press entitled “1 Million Immigrants Skip Work for Rally.” I so upset that immediately emailed the AP this message:

"I have for a very long time valued the news that the AP provides as clear, unbiased, and important. This is why I am disappointed so at your story this morning on Yahoo entitled “1 Million Immigrants Skip Work for Rally.” Are you aware that the language for the title is degrading immigrants? When white people rally for a particular cause, it is usually reported as "gather for rally" or "marching” or “come together in support for.” However, with immigrants, you choose to say “skip work.” It is offensive that when someone who is not white or part of the “mainstream” is reported as skipping work when the same action by white people is reported in a more positive manner. It disgusts me that after the awareness that came from the reports after Katrina of white people gathering supplies and black people looting that your news agency would not have more sensitivity around the language you choose for stories. Please pass my comments to the author of the story, Gillian Flaccus, as well as the editors who approved of this language. It is wrong and disgusting. In addition, please remedy this immediately changing the title of the story to reflect an unbiased reporting of the events of yesterday."

I was surprised to see that when I checked the web page within an hour that the story title had changed. I am not sure if the entire story changed but the title shown on Yahoo reads “Immigrants try to extend boycott momentum.” I am shocked at the thought that maybe my email helped to change this but maybe I am just dreaming.

Regardless of where everyone stands on the issue of immigrant rights, I think it is wicked important for us all to stand up and speak out against racist and classist language used in the media and by others. Immigrants are humans and deserve to be respected.

6 comments:

muse said...

I know that article titles are limited (word count, the maximum being 7 word for an effective title, according to my (old) classes on this). I didn't find this title offensive myself, because I thought that it was effective in referring to the nature of the protest (leaving work for one day to show the impact that immigrant workers have), but then again I'm not from the US so I might very well be missing some more snide subtext. ;) Glad to read that your action helped to make a change, though!

Clementine said...

Hashbrown, that's awesome. Way to go! I like to think you had a hand in changing their title.

Hashbrown said...

Thanks AJWP
Hey Muse,
I get what you are saying but I think there is some subtle racism or classism going on in the laungage "skip work." Hell, nearly everyone who participates in protests has to miss work. So you make plans ahead of time and get the time off which many of the individuals who participated in the immigrant march did. There were countless news stories leading up to Monday of how employers were working with employees so they could take the day off and protest. I believe the language "skip work" implies a irresponsable sort of action. It is in line with the stereotype of Latin American immigrants of engaging in criminal behavior, lazy, and living off of the system. I think other language could have been used that protrayed their actions as civil, legal, and responsable.

I have been shocked at work to hear how many people are against the issues brought up by the march. People I have known and respected for years are saying things that shock and dismay me. I honestly do not know what to do about the number of undocumented immigrants. But I know that buying the discount jeans at Wal-Mart helps to contribute to the flow of undocumented immigrants coming here.

Joey Lawler said...

I know where you're coming from - but I think "skipping work" was a central element of the protest, and as such, I seriously doubt whoever wrote that was trying to impart some underlying disparagement.

Hashbrown said...

I hear ya Joey but when unions do the same sort of action it is called a "work stoppage" not "skip work". It is a fine but significant difference in language.

Hashbrown said...

NPR is calling it a "walk out" today. I think this is more appropriate language for it implies that it is part of an organized movement not irresponsability.