04 May, 2006

Power to the People 2

So, a few months ago, Peaches showed me an article in Bust Magazine about a product called RapeX. It is a latex thing, much like the female condom that has barbs in it that hook onto a penis when inserted. They have to be surgically removed. This protects women and helps to identify the perpetrator. They are still designing it but I thought it was a rad idea. So I wrote to them when I read about it.

Low and behold, today I get an email from them saying they are getting closer to putting the product for sale and are going to try to do internet sales too. At the bottom of the email are what they term as “Some Heartwarming Responses.” Included was mine. How funny is that? Here is what I wrote:


I wanted to say thank you for inventing the product. No one else is protecting us, not legislators, not police, not military, not men, so it is up to us to protect ourselves. What a wonderful idea and effects!! Women are lucky to have your inventive mind working towards our protection. I salute you!

I thought it was wicked funny to see myself as a “Heart Warming Response.” At a time I am feeling like the common person cannot make a change in the machinations of society and government, twice in a week, I see my words listened to. Who knew?

3 comments:

Clementine said...

I love the "Heart Warming Response" section of a RapeX ad. WTF?

Psycho Kitty said...

Here what' I find so cool...you sen that letter, and then all this happens. It's like you broke some sort of cosmic spell of silence, you know?

Hashbrown said...

Huh, maybe.