27 June, 2006

Homelessness

I pass many homeless people in my travels about Boston. I often think about how easily in this economy it is to become homeless. It could happen to just about anyone. I think of the myriad of things we have at home and imagine having to give them all up. Or having to choose the few things I would keep with me. Would I keep my guitar? Would I keep my sax? Would I sell them so I could buy food or a room somewhere? How would life be to be concerned about my next meal and where I will sleep? To have my biggest concerns be about safety, violence, and the weather?

I ponder these things and know just how easily I could be the person on the street being passed by. We all stand apart from being homeless by a few unfortunate events, like the loss of a job, the loss of an income, financial hardship, or mental illness. I am then thankful for all I have, my house, my job, my wife, our stuff, my friends, and our pets and pray that we never become homeless.

No comments: