21 June, 2006

Remember, We Are All Superwomen

Sorry Blog Friends, I have been busy and have not had the time to blog. I read your blogs late at night or at 5 AM every day. But I am back tonight with the latest verse in the Commuter Blues.

This morning, I slept all the way into South Station. I groggily shuffled off the train and followed the herd of commuters into the station. We shuffled down the escalator to the turnstiles for the Red and Silver lines. From the escalator I could hear one of my most favorite people I see every workday, the Metro Lady.

I don’t know her name but I do know that she is awesome. Every morning, she calls out “Free Metro. Good Morning! Free paper. Good Morning!” And she means it. She always has a smile and is so engaging of all her patrons. I smile just seeing her greeting everyone and spreading her cheer around. When I greet her, she hands me the paper saying “Here you go, sweetie,” or “Have a nice day, baby.” A few months ago, I was so honored when she called me “My friend.” She always remembers what holiday is coming up and tells everyone, “have a great Father’s Day” or Memorial Day or what ever. When about to go on vacation, she lets all of us know, saying, “I am going to be gone for a week. See you the following Monday. I am going to visit my daughter” or something of the like. She brightens my mornings so much.

Today, the Metro was promoting the 3D version of Superman. All the venders had to wear Superman t-shirts and 3D glasses. When I saw my Metro Lady dressed in this, I smiled and said “Oh no.” I feel for people who have to wear crazy shit for their job. But she took it in stride and said, “I hope I made your day.” I replied, “You always make my day,” and thanked her for my paper. As I started to walk away, she turned to me and said, “Remember, we are all Superwomen.”

Thank you, Metro Lady. You are the best!

4 comments:

Clementine said...

That's awesome. Maybe you could copy out this post and put it in a card for her--I bet she'd love to read it!

Anonymous said...

That's such an awesome story! I love the metro lady, she sounds so cool!

Nacho Enthusiast said...

Sometimes you stumble on to a page and it changes your day. This was a really sweet anecdote that brought tears to my eyes.

Hashbrown said...

Thanks Nacho. That is so very kind of you. JPP, I love her too. AJWP, I think I will.