12 July, 2006

Fight the Power

The Constitutional Convention is today. The Massachusetts Legislature will be deciding whether to have the citizens of the commonwealth to vote on same-sex marriage. I took the day off to go protest. Last year, AJWP and I were there for each Constitutional Convention for 10-14 hours, singing patriotic songs, holding signs, being interviewed, and standing nose to nose with those who use religion as a weapon against us.

I was talking to AJWP about it the other day. I pondered the necessity of protesting when it feels like the lawmakers have already made up their minds. She reminded me that by being there, they have to look us in the eye as they strip our rights away from us. It is a powerful thing to do, making your presence known to the lawmakers and witnessing these events. I will not idly stand aside as they strip away marriage rights.

As I have talked with my straight friends about LGBT rights and our experiences protesting, I feel a slight disconnect. Everyone is so very supportive. You have written letters, sent our NPR stories to your Senators and Representatives, commiserated over our bad Representative, etc. But I felt there were not the words to explain what it is like to stand up and demand your rights which you have witnessed everyone else having but were barred from until May 17, 2004. Then I saw this quote and understood.

"None who have always been free can understand the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom to those who are not free." Pearl S. Buck

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great quote. You go, girl! You're 100% right and they should have to look you in the eye.

Canada said...

You tell 'em, girl!!! Very good quote, too.

Clementine said...

I love that quote. I hope we'll remember it when we have Hester Willa with us.