20 July, 2006

Living the Dream

My first research article was published in the Journal of Music Therapy. I got it in the mail Monday night. Tuesday, I took it to work and made copies for the head of the hospital, the head of patient care services, my boss who was on the research team, and the surgeon who was on the research team. That afternoon, the head of patient care services (my boss's boss) sent me flowers to celebrate the publication of my first research article.

It is a dream come true, literally. When in my undergraduate classes, we would be assigned articles to read out of the music therapy journals. Instead of paying attention to what I was reading, I would daydream of the moment when it was my name underneath some dry sounding research title. I dreamed of the day I would have a body of research about some topic (I did not get so far as to identify my topic, only that I was a key researcher in that area). Luckily, somewhere along the line, I learned a few things and landed a job where I could devote my research to one topic. Currently, I have two articles in the process of sending in to journals and them sending them back foreditoriall changes. So I have started to develop my body of research in pediatric acute pain. I am living the dream. Granted it is a wicked nerdy dream, but it is a dream none the less.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That is so awesome! I'm so proud of you! Great job! :)

muse said...

Wow, that is such a terrific achievement!! You're a published writer, even better, a published scientist/researcher! :) And that's so sweet (and well-deserved) about the flowers!

Hashbrown said...

Thanks guys.

Clementine said...

Yeah, they showed me up GOOD wih the flowers. Oops, Hashie--we'll celebrate this weekend.

And it really is a tremendous accomplishment. It's not a one-off, either, since you're working on more articles and you've had non-research articles published in other journals. You are a superstar in your field, lady, and I'm v. proud of you.

Way to go, Hashbrown!

Canada said...

You're a star!! Of course, I don't have mine yet, since we're away, but will you autograph my copy when I see you at conference? Ms. Published Researcher?

Psycho Kitty said...

I am SO proud for you, and not a bit surprised. You are a brilliant woman and deserve all the kudos!

Hashbrown said...

Thanks PK!
I am not sure anyone would have thought that of me when I was a in high school or my undergraduate program.