26 July, 2006

I....I.... urm....Uhg,...

So I had a major dyslexia freak out last night in our adoption parenting class. I guess the trainers think we are in third grade because they make us read things out loud for the class. And I got called on to read this page with a ton of text on it. I freaked out and could hardly speak. I stammered a minute then said something to the effect of “I cannot read out loud.” Another woman jumped in and read the page while I tried to not relive K-12 horrors in my mind. The trainers apologized later and I explained that I have dyslexia. She was very nice about it, asking when I was diagnosed and about schooling issues.

I was diagnosed in my second year of college when a GTA in my general psych class pulled me aside and told me I should get tested. In all my years of school and with having a mother who was a teacher, no one ever explored a learning disability as the reason I excelled at math but sucked big time in spelling, grammar, and reading. I was always told I was not trying hard enough and to look up the words I did not know how to spell in the dictionary. First of all, I was trying. Second, I did not know and still do not know that I am spelling a word wrong. Third, how the hell are you supposed to find the word’s spelling if you don’t have the faintest clue of how to spell it. Anyway, I got a letter stating I had dyslexia and that changed my college career. I went from B’s and C’s to A’s. It was beautiful.

I do pretty well now. I still spell words wrong all the time but I am almost ok with it. I don’t usually have to read out loud so that is good. And I have one hell of an editor for my professional manuscripts. I owe her my so much!

So next week, I will try to not freak out for the social workers at the class.

1 comment:

Clementine said...

Poor Hashbrown! They do kind of treat us like 3rd graders, what with the reading aloud and the role playing. I'm sorry ol' Talkie put you on the spot.