17 March, 2006

Juxtaposition

My job is odd because it sort of magnifies what is good and what is not good in people. I see children and families pulling together after accidents or abuse, parents providing loving support and care for their injured child, the indomitable spirit within children, parents and caregivers sacrificing so much for their child's well-being, and the power of simple things like a song over the most dire circumstances. I also see children coming in with injuries sustained from violence, abuse, or neglect, parents who do not have the skills or where withal to adequately care for their children, parents who don't appear to even care about their child's well-being, and children permanently damaged by others, physically and emotionally.

Today, I saw both sides of my job in one room. A child came to us from another country the other day. Her abusive parents caused her injuries. It was awful to read even the cut and dry version of the incident in her chart. I visited her and seeing the pain in her eyes and hearing it in her voice, knowing the injuries were intentional, I was horrified. Yet, at her bedside was a missionary nurse, whose life work is to bring children in need of medical care from this country to the USA. She is truly a kind, loving, and generous woman and even short interactions with her are so wonderful. She is selfless about her work and her mission. Everyone on the unit has nothing but wonderful words to describe her.


It was an odd juxtaposition in that room today. The two extremes of humanity demonstrated before my eyes. My feelings about it all are overwhelming, both the feelings about how horrific some humans are and how amazing some humans are. Both bring tears to my eyes.

3 comments:

Canada said...

I'll say it again - I SO admire what you do. I can do oncology, and head injury, but your job takes a special kind of courage - esp when you get the abuse issues. Keep it up, you make me proud to count myself as a peer.

Hashbrown said...

Oh please, we all have skills suited for what ever we do best. If everyone had the same skills, alot of people would not have services. I really do not think my job is any more special than any other. Honestly, if I had our friend in western MA's job, I would really be depressed. Not my thing. This job is my thing. But like any job, some days are harder than others.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, Miss Hashbrown. I'm sure glad there are people like the missionary you talk about!