07 March, 2006

Managed Care, a good thing?

My postings today are cranky. This is mostly from my recent experiences with managed care and because my foot hurts quite a lot. Back to managed care. I wonder what the hell does , "managed care" mean? They certainly do not manage my care well. I believe it should be labeled mismanaged care.

You see, twice in the past year, when I go to the doctor for a cold that has lasted 3 weeks with 1 week of laryngitis (I have to sing for a living so that is not a good thing at all), they tell me, "It is a virus; you need to rest." I know that; this does not help me! Peaches went in a few months ago with what turned out to be a sinus infection complicated by cellulitis in her nose (!!!) and was told it is a virus, to rest, and drink turnip soup. Now let me clarify one thing, this advise was from a MD doctor in a reputable clinic associated with Massachusetts General Hospital, a very good hospital. Peaches got a second opinion and was accurately diagnosed and given antibiotics, not soup recipes.

3 or 4 weeks ago, the joint between my second toe and my foot started hurting. I thought it was nothing and it would go away. I then thought I just have pulled something and it will go away. It did not. Finally, I called my doctor's office to get an appointment Friday. They had terrible times so I tried to get a referral so I could go to urgent care in the evening. The referral lady said it would take 4-5 days to do the referral. What use is a referral system if you cannot use it in a timely manner? So I decided to call again on Monday.

Monday, I called and went across town and I saw a doctor for less than 5 minutes. She sent me to get an x-ray, which was back across the street from my work. So I took the T back and limped over there. Tuesday morning, I got a call from the doctor, saying I have a stress fracture in my foot and that they would be setting up an appointment with an orthopedist. I call at 1 to check on the referral and the referral lady hadn't even started working on it. At 4 pm, the referral lady calls to tels me my appointment is Friday. Now, I am kind of freaked out because it is a broken bone and I have never had one. So I ask to chat with the doctor's nurse about how to care for a stress fracture. The nurse emails the doctor my questions. The doctor calls me back and sounds perturbed as she tells me to wear good shoes, don't run, and that I should be fine until Friday.

This evening, I have learned that there is not a lot one can do for stress fractures. Mostly RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) and wear good shoes. I am ok with that, although it is much like the virus thing which irritates the hell out of me. But hey, I can deal. I just want to know that if it is not a big deal and if I just have to avoid running (like I do it much more than running to catch my train), then why do I have to go to the orthopedist, use up my PTO, pay the co-pay, possibly miss part of a special training on Friday, just to hear "rest, no running, wear good shoes" again. Am I asking too much of the medical system to want to have patient education by doctors or nurses, good customer service, and quality interactions with no mention of turnips?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are. Welcome to shitty healthcare in the good old U.S. of A. Maybe it will get better when Massachusetts passes a law requiring everyone to have health insurance, and starts fining people who don't.

That will probably be helpful. It will get better then, don't worry.

All sarcasm aside, I'm really sorry about your foot and I hope it starts feeling better soon!

Canada said...

Hey, Hashbrown, I'm sorry about your foot. It sounds extremely uncomfortable, and factoring in the irritation of "managed care" just adds insult to injury. Maybe the orthopedist will suggest orthotics or something? I hope the RICE is going well, and that you have comfortable/good shoes. Feel better soon (and don't forget the turnip poultice!)

Clementine said...

Managed care bites my ass. My most recent example: trying to arrange a referral to urgent care for the flu and getting a call back from the doctor's office 3 WEEKS LATER.

Hashbrown said...

thanks y'all!